Albion Historical Notebook

A SUNDAY SCHOOL PICNIC

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

August is the time for annual family-clan reunions with all the activities and the hot summer sun that goes with it. Similarly, for many years numerous Albion churches held “Sunday School picnics” for its members, particularly for the children.

VICTORY PARK SWIMMING POOL NEVER BUILT

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Albionites have lacked an officially-sanctioned natural swimming hole in which to cool off during the hot summer months. The youth of our community have either had to pay money to use a chlorinated pool, or swim clandestinely by the Victory Park waterfall as has often been the case, or find transportation to Swain’s Lake.

DARROW BOATS

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

As the boating season is in full force at area lakes, we are reminded that Albion once had boats manufactured right here in town. It was in 1910 that local sportsman Frank H. Darrow (1869-1945) built a steel flat bottom boat for himself in his barn at 612 E. Erie St. The Darrow Boat Company was incorporated in 1912.

ALBION 100 YEARS AGO JULY 1922

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

We continue with our theme of “Albion, 100 Years Ago.” July 1, 1922. “Quantities of Booze Seized in Big Raid. At 3 o’clock yesterday afternoon, officers of the City of Albion, swooped down on the homes of five in the foreign settlement, and seized quantities of liquor and paraphernalia.

THE FITCH HOUSE

User Rating: 5 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Active

As you drive along E. Michigan Avenue in Albion and see the replacement “Old Rugged Cross” State of Michigan historical marker that has been erected near the curb, you might be wondering what used to be in that now-vacant block between the circular College Court.

ALBION 100 YEARS AGO—JUNE 1922

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

We continue with our theme of "Albion 100 Years Ago." June 5, 1922. "A business change of considerable importance was announced today, whereby Floyd Parks takes possession of the Kinmont retail drug business at the northwest corner of Superior and W. Erie Streets."

ALBION RIFLE RANGERS

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

At this time of year, we look back to the Civil War, that portion of our history which subsequently resulted in the holiday we know today as Memorial Day. On the southwest corner of W. Erie and S. Eaton Streets in Albion is the Peabody Place housing development.

About

The Salesman is a family owned business which has been locally owned and operated since 1948. We publish the Eastern, Western, & Morning Star editions of the Salesman each Sunday.